Saturday, March 12, 2016

Motion Sickness

I used to laugh at my dad for getting motion sick. Like super duper motion sick. Then I got pregnant with Reagan and got motion sick all the time. All the time. I still get motion sick but not nearly as bad as she I was pregnant. 

When I worked for the West-10 Region Day School Program for the Deaf in Katy I rode with my supervisor across Houston (while pregnant) to see one of our deafblind student get his cochlear implant turned on (an awesome thing to see!). She kept doing "brakes, no brakes". I was two seconds from puking all over my supervisor's car. How mortifying would that of been?! 

So I had two choices. 1) puke all over the car or 2) tell my supervisor how to drive. I decided in the grand scheme of things it was less embarrassing to tell my supervisor to stop doing "brakes, no brakes" than to puke in her car. 

I took a deep breath and explained I was going to puke all over her car if she didn't stop "brakes, no brakes". She laughed. Laughed! And said her son tells her that all the time and quickly fixed her driving. When I told Jay that story he was mortified that I told my supervisor how to drive. But really?! What were my choices here? Ha!

I hadn't intended to tell that story. So back to my dad. 

My dad and I used to sit on this swing. I'd be in charge of the swinging motion... he'd quickly tell me I was making him motion sick and would take over the motion. I would laugh and tease him about it. 


While in Houston at my parents house my dad and I swang on the swing. The weather was beautiful.  I let him be in charge of the swinging motion since I know it's better for him. Yet I quickly had to tell him he was making me motion sick. Oh how the tables have turned! 



3 comments:

  1. I have never struggled with motion sickness but have a favorite uncle who has provided me with wonderful memories of growing up - including times he succumbed to motion sickness in front of me. I always found it humorous that I, 12 years younger, could handle more amusement park rides than he could. I will never let him forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely made the right choice. I would rather be told about my driving that to have to clean out the inside of my car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely made the right choice. I would rather be told about my driving that to have to clean out the inside of my car.

    ReplyDelete