Monday, March 2, 2015

Slice of Life Challenge


Since I'm new to the blogging life I decided I'd take the Slice of Life challenge put on by Two Writing Teachers.  My friend and fellow librarian The Sassy Bibliophile is doing it.  I remember reading her posts last year.  I read one today and I thought this word be a great way for me to work on my writing skills, polish them up a bit... or a lot (I think it's more like a lot!).

This morning I was surprised to find out that we were doing benchmark testing at school.  So my plans to show the Book Fair's Author video were... changed.  I've been showing it to the classes who come in the afternoon but my morning classes are missing it.

So this morning with my block of time I finished filling in my Book Fair posters and posted them around the school.  I also sent out two emails to teachers.  One explaining all the papers I put in teachers' boxes and a second letting teachers know that if they donate $20 to the Book Fair they can wear jeans the whole month of April. The donated money will be use to purchase books for students who can't afford to buy books.  I already had one teacher bring me a her check.  I think she's excited about the jeans!

I also worked on a Thinglink about Easter (for the Educator Learning Series, #EduLS).  The week before Easter I'm going to read poems about Easter to 3rd-5th grade.  Then I'll show the students my Thinglink.  It's the first one I've ever done.  I'd like to try using it during a professional development instead of Power Point or Prezi.  Not that there's anything wrong with either of those tools, Thinglink is just something different to try. 


5 comments:

  1. I look forward to your poetry Thinglink - it's something I've had little success using, and I'd really like to change that. Welcome to the SOLSC challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to slicer heaven. I joined this group five years ago and love coming back to this challenge each year. It's such a supportive group.

    I 'm going to share your idea of paying to wear jeans and using the money to let kids buy books. This is an awesome thing to do. Our school does this type of fundraiser at Christmas, but I really like the idea of using the money for kids. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donate money for kids to buy books AND wear jeans for a month...that is my kind of trade off! That is a brilliant idea! I can't wait to hear about all the other wonderful things you are doing for your students. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome. Have fun with playing with words. Reading your other slices today, you are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really, really proud of you for doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete