Monday, January 23, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For Pleasure:

I listened to Turbo Twenty-Three by Janet Evanovich.  I LOVE the Plum series.  The books can get a bit repetitive so I don't suggest reading all of them at once.  Stephanie is just competent enough to do her job as a bounty hunter.  With a lot of mishaps of course.  Danger always seems to attract her.  The people in her life range from an ex-prostitute to her crazy, fun-loving grandma to a hot cop and a hot security man.  I laugh my way through these books!

For School:

Last week with it being Martin Luther King Jr day I didn't read a book to students.  I showed them a video on the Discovery Channel.  We had some great discussions about the things they learned.

I read two books for our student Book Clubs.

I started a 2nd grade Book Club  to try to help a teacher pull her higher readers.  We read Eek! Stories to make you shriek by Jane O'Connor.  Sometimes I struggle through easy reader chapter books.  They're... well... too easy.  But I really did enjoy this book about a dragon curse.  A boy and his family go to Wales for a week long vacation (he'd rather be at baseball camp!).  Riding his bike around town the boy realizes there are no other boys in town and everyone is encouraging him to leave town.  This book doesn't have a nicely wrapped up ending which is annoying and a relief all at the same time.  Ha!  Sometimes I get tired of endings that are wrapped up with a pretty bow.  I can't wait to hear what my second graders have to say about the book!

With my 4th grade Book Club we are reading Secret Agent jack Stalwart: The Deadly Race to Space #9 by Elizabeth Singer Hunt.  I really enjoy reading and learning about space so really liked this book!  Jack is a secret agent.  No one in his family knows he works for a secret agent.  He has access to some really cool gadgets! Jack is sent on a mission to find his missing... FATHER!  But wait!  Is the man who hired him to find his dad really the bad guy?  Will Jack and his father be able to stop the launch of the rocket to Mars?

We have an author visit coming in a few weeks.  So I'm reading some of Michael Anthony Steele's books to get ready to introduce them to my students.  I started Night at the Museum Nick's Tales. This book picks up where the movie and book Night at the Museum left off.  Only this time we are following Larry Daley's son Nick around the museum.  I'm only on page 12 right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment