Thursday, June 2, 2016

Thankful Thursday-Growing Up

Friday afternoon one of my Nacogdoches girls sent a group text saying she was picking up her youngest for the last time from the babysitter's and she was close to crying.

All four of her children have been in the care of this babysitter.  She's been a part of their lives for 10 years now.  Her youngest will start PK at the elementary in her district in the fall and this babysitter will no longer be a part of their daily lives now.

That got me thinking about Reagan.  She'll start 8th grade in the fall.  One more year till high school.  HIGH SCHOOL people!  How in the world did we get to one year from high school?  I really don't know.

We only have 5 summers left together.  That hurts.

So after reading my friends text I started panicking.  Like chest hurt, hard to breath.  I don't panic but I did Friday night.  My little girl, my baby.  One year from high school.

I'm taking this soooooo much harder than I ever thought I would.

Please don't get me wrong.  When she mouths off or rolls those eyes I can't wait for her to go to college. But this week she's been at school with me.  Her choice!  This is the second year she's chosen to come to work with me the last two weeks of my school.

It's fun to watch her interact with my students.

During a presentation she had about 5 kindergarteners sitting around her.  Playing with her hair, sitting as close as humanly possible.  One little boy smells her hair and exclaims "Your hair smells so good!" Hilarious!

We've had fun together these two weeks and it makes me want to hold on tight!

This reminds me of the song "Closing Time" by Semisonic, "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end".

Today I'm thankful for my daughter and the 5 summers we have left
.

No comments:

Post a Comment