Monday, April 18, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For the library:

We are still in poetry month so I'm still reading poetry to my classes.

This week I read Amazing Faces by Lee Bennett Hopkins to Pk-5th grade.  Hopkins put together a collection of poems written by other people to create this book.  I really like how each poem is about a different culture.  We learned little snippets about people that look different from us.  I only had one student out of 439 that noticed without me prompting that each poem was about a different race.  The only question I asked was "The title of this book and the first poem are the same.  Why didn't the poet name the book My Chinatown which is the second poem?"  There was at least one student in about half the class who could answer that question.

For myself:

I finished the Relentless Series this weekend. LOVED it! Loved it like "Everyone shut up! I'm reading!" Like "Let me see if I can blow dry my hair and read at the same time." cuz I never wanted to put the books down. Like ever!

This young adult series has it all. There's paranormal romance. There are vampires and werewolves and hale witches. Oh my!  Don't forget the various demons and the farriers. There's fighting and training and love all wrapped in these three books. It's an urban fantasy.  In case you're confused... I give it 5 stars. 

I started We Were Liars by E. Lockhart Sunday night. I'm hooked! I can't wait to finish it.  Cadence's family owns an island that they spend every summer on.  The older children are called The Liars.  Cadence gets in an accident and can't remember anything.  Amnesia sets in.  She misses her sixteenth summer on the island and heads back her seventeenth year... and that's where I'm at.  I can't wait to find out what she learns about her accident and if her amnesia goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment