Thursday, April 7, 2016

Collaborating

Earlier this week I had a chance to collaborate with the school nurse.  She heads a program called Fuel Up to Play 60 at for our students.  Fuel Up to Play 60 teaches students how to exercise and eat health.

This year our school held the tailgate party.  We created a  committee consisting of the nurse, the gym teacher, the principal, a representative from A&M University and myself.  Sitting in the meeting I got to thinking how I could help as a librarian and highlight some materials the library had to help with a healthy lifestyle.


I put together the following brochure that parents picked up as they signed in.

This is the outside of the brochure.

This is the inside of the brochure.


We had a ton of booths set up.  We had a representative from Borden's Milk passing our chocolate milk, there was chicken and turkey hotdogs and turkey burger, SFA University student nurses had booth, some nurse took blood pressure and checked cholesterol.  Coach set up an obstacle course outside and inside the gym he marked off an area to walk.  I set up a Google Slides presentation about technology that can help in the race to get fit.  It ran on the wall of the gym so parents and students could view it while walking.  There were more booths but I can't remember them all.

It felt really good to highlight what the library could provide.  It was awesome to collaborate outside the classroom in a way that I wouldn't normally think to do (burning my box!).  It was interesting to see what we did as a team coming some different backgrounds that one person just couldn't do on their own.

Today I'm thankful I had this opportunity and look forward to burning my box again!






No comments:

Post a Comment