Saturday, May 30, 2015

Professional Reads

The first 11 years of my teaching career I hardly ever read a professional development book. Honestly I can only think of two professional book though I'm pretty sure I read a couple more. How sad is that?!

My excuse? There just weren't any good books that applied to Deaf Ed. I think that's an excuse a lot of Deaf Ed teachers use (totally including myself here!) for a lot of subjects related to Deaf Ed. 

Then I became the librarian for Jonathan Kegler last year. He brought some amazing, inspiring men to come speak to our school. Men like Damen Lopez, Todd Whitaker, Dr. Eric Thomas, Principal Kafele, and Dave Burgess. He bought us some of their books too. 

I devoured those books!

This year Mr. Kegler brought some of the same men back plus a few more. He brought Craig BoykinDr. Stephen Peters, and Robert Jackson. He also bought us their books. 

Students and teachers Sykped with Jon Gordon. That was so cool and my first school Skype. I can't wait to do that again!

I decided at the beginning of the year (teacher code for August not January) that I would read one professional book a month or twelve for the year. I'm a little short on my reading. I've read 8 books so far. I'm going to read four more this summer to reach my twelve for the year goal. 

The following books are what I've read so far this school year:

Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller
The Time is Now by Jonathan Kegler (eBook form only)
Do You Know Me Enough To Teach Me by Dr. Stephen Peters
Closing the Attitude Gap by Baruti Kafele
Greatness is Upon You by Dr. Eric Thomas
The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon 
The Shark and The Goldfish by Jon Gordon
My Life, Your Inspiration by Craig J. Boykin. 

So here I am so excited about reading 8 professional books when I got to thinking... ís that really a lot of books?

My world changing question: How many professional books do you read each school year?

2 comments:

  1. I read quite a few, but parts, so I don't know how to answer your question truthfully. I read with groups which helps, I've read at school with colleagues, & I've taught for many years & return to old favorites also, or new editions of old favorites, like Atwell's In The Middle (I've been a lit coach & am back in the classroom for just this year-middle school). You've read a lot, hope it's been wonderful to find the books that will inspire and help your teaching. Have a great summer, reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this amazing post and trick, keep continue writing these amazing tricky informative blog.

    ReplyDelete