Monday, October 10, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

At home:



The Fate of Ten (Lorien Legacies, #6)
by Pittacus Lore is the 6th book a great YA series I started this summer.  Let me preface the rest of my review with, I know aliens aren't real. I realize the book is about aliens from a planet that would take a space ship a year to travel too but I struggled a bit with this book seeming... real.  Ha!  I know, I know, it's about aliens.  But hear me out.  The Loriens come with powers. But suddenly some teenagers on earth have gained the same powers.  Yes, there's a reason but it's still not believable to me.  Other than that I really enjoyed the story.  I love the battles, the romance, the struggles these teen aliens go through to save our planet Earth.  The ending is a total cliff hanger.  The last sentence is "She's gone."  Yeap, that's it.  Nothing else.  And the next books isn't out yet and I can't find any info of when the next book will be out one the website. Ugh!

In school:


For PK-2nd I read We Forgot Brock by Carter Goodrich.  This book is on the Texas 2x2 reading list.  Philip, a little boy and his family head to the Big Fair with his imaginary friend Brock.  But Philips falls asleep before the family head home and... Brock gets left behind.

This book reminded me of my imaginary friend Jimmy who used to wake up my baby cousin. He was so naughty to do such a thing!  My aunt would get so mad at me for tell her it wasn't me who woke up my baby cousin but it was Jimmy.  Ha!

For 3rd-5th I read the Texas Bluebonnet Nominee Hiawatha and the Peacemaker by Robbie Robertson.  This story is part of the Iroquois oral tradition.  Hiawatha learns to make peace instead of war.  He travels to other tribes to spread the message of peace.

I got my Junior Library Subscription this week.  I was able to read some of them before I put them out for check out.

Dragon  Was Terrible by Kelly DiPucchio Dragon is... well, terrible.  He scribbles in books.  He steal candy from baby unicorns.  He even burps IN church! Gasp!  The king, all the knights and villagers try to tame him but fail.  In the end a very unlikely person tames him.

Return (Journey Trilogy, #3) by Aaron Becker  is a lovely wordless picture book.  It's the third in the Journey series.  The illustrations are phenomenal!   

A Well-Mannered Young Wolf by Jean Leroy The Young wolf heads out for his first hunting trip.  He's so polite to those he hunts causing him to keep losing his prey.  Until he meets a little boy....

Lift Your Light a Little Higher: the Story of Stephen Bishop: Slave-Explorer by Heather Henson is a historical fiction based on a real slave's life.  Very little is known about Bishop except that he was a very brave man who lead many other slaves to safety.






No comments:

Post a Comment