Thursday, July 7, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

 I finished The Choice by Nicholas Sparks.  This wasn't one of my favorites of his but I did like it.  Travis and Gabby start a relationship, get married then tragedy strikes.  Travis has to make a hard choice (hence the title).  This is one of Sparks few books that didn't make me cry.  It was perfect book to take of vacation with me.  It was easy and quick to read.
I listened to The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.  In last weeks post I said that I didn't know what I was going to do with this book once I finished it.  I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the food we eat.  Like how animals are treated on farms, how these farm animals are being feed corn, even the animals that don't naturally eat corn.  I could go on and on.  Luckily at the end of the book Pollan gives some suggestions on what to do after reading this book.  I think the first thing I'm going to do is read the labels of the fruit I buy and buy local as much as possible.  That seems like an "easy" place to start.

On a side note I finished listening to this book with 3 hours remaining in our (vacation) drive.  I thought I was going to have a hear attack that I didn't have anything to listen to for 3 hours. I couldn't wait to get to the next hotel to download a new audiobook!
                                               
After we got to our hotel in Kansas City I download Beach Town by Mary Kay Andrews.  I listened to this for the remaining 10 hour drive back. Sticking with my beach theme this summer, this is a cute book. Greer is a movie site scout.  She finds the perfect beach in Florida in a run downed, dying town to shoot the movie.  Greer has a run in with a flying roach (I laughed so loud in the car that I woke up Reagan), a run in with the mayor who's also the grocery store owner and co-ower of the hotel she's staying at, she's constantly putting out fires from getting the star of the movie out of jail to paying off a neighbor who's not thrilled having a movie shot on his street.  Greer gets wrapped up with the mayor/grocery store owner/co-owner of the hotel.  She starts a relationship she's not sure what to do with, she hires his niece as PA, and she befriends his aunt.  Greer's not sure what to do with all this togetherness.

Crystal Kingdom by Amanda Hocking is the third book in The Canin Chronicles series.  Bryn's been accused of murdering her best friends husband.  She's on the run trying to figure out who really did murder him.  She also creates an unlikely alliance with the man/troll who attempted to murder her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment