Thursday, December 3, 2015

Reading In The Wild

I've mentioned here before that I'm leading a book study on Reading In The Wild by Donalyn Miller for the reading teachers at my school. I'm super excited about it! I love this book and Miller! There are so many things to learn from this book.

We had our first study this week. One of our Pk teachers told us that she has already started doing some of the things in chapter 1. She made time to for her students to read in her class. She also read at the same time so her students could see her reading too. She said she was shocked at how quiet and engaged the students were. If some one started talking she'd say "Shhh, 'Ms. Jones' is reading." and they stop. 

Today I had another Pk teacher stop me and tell me she redid her schedule to include more independent reading time and had given the new schedule to the principal. She asked me to pull some short engaging chapter books. I pull three, Hank the Cow Dog, Junie B. Jones , and Nate the Great to try. I have a couple more ideas that she could read aloud to them if those don't work.

I can't wait to see what other ideas we/they pull and implement from this book.  I'm even more excited to see the great changes that will come from it.

On a side note, the librarians in the area, both public and school librarians, have been meeting together trying to build a community of readers.  One of the things we are doing is taking pictures of people reading and attaching the hashtag #NacReads.   I think this is perfect timing to go along with this book study!


No comments:

Post a Comment