Monday, December 14, 2015

Junior High Bible Class

Normally at church I only teach the baby class (9 months old-2 years old) or the 2 and 3 year olds. These are my favorite ages so any opportunity I have to be with this age group I grab it.  

This teaching quarter I decided to step out of my comfort zone and teach the junior high class (my daughter is in this class and I haven't taught her since she was 3 years old).  We only have 3 kids in junior high so it's not a big class.  I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed teaching them which is dumb since tween's are another favorite age of mine (I really miss working with the junior high Deaf students).

I like making them think, getting them to consider Biblical things they might not of thought of before, and watching them gleam some new information out of a "story" they've heard all their (short) life. I like seeing them move from the "stories" of the Bible to really getting into the meat of the Word.  

I also like their sarcasm, their sense of humor, their attitudes.  Sadly, their sarcasm, sense of humor and attitude are scarily similar to mine. Ha! 

I have to admit I was worried about my Bible knowledge.  I'm not as confident in that knowledge as I should be.  And really, no one knows everything at all times.  It's ok for me to say "Let me study on that a little before I answer you."  I haven't had to say that but knowing I have a fall back line helped me through the first few weeks of our class.  Our time will be coming to an end in January.  I really look forward to teaching them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment