Monday, May 16, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For school:

Last week was mostly a testing week.  I tested Monday and Tuesday for 4th grade math and reading. Wednesday I did not have to test 5th grade science but I did have to walk around and relieve teachers for mental breaks, bathroom break, get a coke or coffee etc.



So my library was pretty quite it most of the week.  But when I did finally get students in I read Book Fair Day by Lynne Plourde.  I found this book last year right before my Book Fair and thought it would be perfect to read to the kids to get them ready for our Book Fair.  I decided to make a tradition of reading it once a year before our BOGO Book Fair.  A young boy, respectfully, named Dewey Booker, is so upset that his class is the last class to go to the Book Fair.  There won't be any books left when his class finally gets to go!  Dewey tries many ways to sneak into the Book Fair but he gets caught every time.  Will he get to buy the book he wants?

For myself:

I finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart last night.  I don't normally stay up on a school night and finish a book but I made an exception for this book and stayed a bit later than normal.  I checked this eBook out about a month and half ago.  It had a 2 week check out limit.  Which is normally more than enough time for me to finish a book but those 2 weeks were a super busy time and I didn't get to finish it.  So I put my name on the waiting list again and got it Tuesday evening.  I finished it Wednesday night.

I don't even know where to begin with this book!  There were so many twists and turns.  I'd think I had the plot down then there would be a twist.  I'd get my head wrapped around it then there would be a turn.  It was awesome!  I did not see the end coming.  I had so many different scenarios going in my head but not one of them was the real ending.

The Liars are four teenagers (some related some not) who go their family owned island every summer with their extended family.  Summer 15 (when they're 15 years old) a tragedy happens and Cady, the main character, ends up with amnesia.  She is telling the story so you get a look into the head of some one with amnesia.  It can be a bit disorientating but so cool to see how the pieces all fall together.  You learn what happened that summer as she does.  I texted my best girlfriends and told them they HAD to read this book because I NEEDED to talk about it to some one.

I finished I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore  I picked up this book... well, I clicked on it on my iPad in the Overdrive app... but whatever, because the title reminded me of Four from the Divergent series.  It's nothing like the Divergent series though.  I'm not a huge sci fi person so when I read the first few pages of aliens attacking I thought, "Nope, this ain't happening." but I kept reading.   And I'm glad I did!  It's a young adult novel about a boy who has to leave his home planet that's under attack to come to Earth with 9 other children and their guardians.  The aliens who attacked them on their home planet have come to Earth and are tracking them down and killing them in numerical order.  Number Four is next.

I didn't realized this was a movie made in 2011.  So I rented it from Amazon Prime Saturday after I finished the book.  I don't know why I do this to myself.  I know better.  I never like book to movie adaptations.  I can't separate the mediums.  I know I should but I don't.  Instead I sit there and say repeatedly "That didn't happen in the book!" or "What?!? What is that?!? It was so much better in the book!"  Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the movie as much as the book.  I have the second book on hold.




I started and quickly stopped reading Crystal Kingdom by Amanda Hocking.   It's the last book in the series, I've been so excited about this book coming out! I started reading it and got really confused.  I didn't recognize any of the characters.  I didn't remember the storyline.  So I stopped reading after a couple of pages and Googled it.  Yea, I haven't read any of the books in this series.  Ha!  I read the first series, The Trylle.  This is a spin off series, The Kanin Chronicles.

So I returned Crystal Kingdom and downloaded Frostfire.  It's an easy read.  I finished it in a day.  I'm a sucker for young adult books.  I love the teenage drama and romance and coming of age stories.  This urban fantasy has it all.  I put the Ice Kissed, the second book in the series on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment