Saturday, January 30, 2016

What Are You Reading?

I've been reading Frank Cammuso's books to students the last few weeks.  I wanted to prepare the students for his author visit (which was last week).

With 2nd-5th I read The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble (it's on our Texas award the Bluebonnet list).  It's the first book in the series.  It takes us about 3 weeks to reading the books.  We read it before Christmas.  Two weeks ago I started The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Big Birthday Bash.  I'll finish reading it them this weeks.  Salem is a fun loving witch who gets herself in all kinds of trouble.  I mentioned to Frank that I wasn't sure the students always got the humor.  He said he also tried to write his books for the parents who "have to" read them to their kids.  He wants parents to enjoy the books too.  It works because I really enjoy them!

With Kinder-1st I read Otto's Backwards Day.  It's the second book in the series.  I tried to purchase Otto's Orange Day, the first book in the series, but my vendor didn't have it.  In Otto's Backwards Day, Otto is a bit selfish and focused on the wrong parts of his birthday party.  His birthday gets stolen and he has to find it with the help of his robot sidekick, Toot.  Students really enjoyed this book.  Otto has to wear his underwear on the outside on Backwards Day... I mean underwear is just hilarious!  And a robot name Toot... how is that not funny to little kids... and big kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment