Friday was a Teacher Work Day. So I made a to do list. I started with three things on my to do list and added two more as the day went on. Weeding a shelf in the library was on my list (per the Happy Librarian Challenge). It was the last thing I decided to tackle since it didn't "have to be done". After I did everything on my list I had 20 minutes before the end of the day. So a little weeding I did.
Last year I hit the nonfiction, biographies, and fiction section pretty hard. Between buying new books and weeding I brought the age of the collection up four years. It's still unacceptable by TLA standards but I'm making headway.
So I decided to head to the Everybody section. The challenge suggested weeding a shelf that looked a little sad and could use a little freshing up. So as I did a 180 I noticed my R shelf was crammed with books and no way to really shift books to lessen the load. So I dropped into one of my new donated bean bags and went to work.
(As I'm looking at this picture I see that some one moved the "S" marker... I need to move that to the right shelf.)
I weeded books that had seen better days. Books that had mold growing in them (just as I think I've gotten them all I find more. Sigh). I compared books I had multiple copies of and kept the better looking book. I also weeded based on the dated illustrations and the copyright date. The 1980s don't seem that long ago till you start to calculate.
I ran an analysis when I was done because I just added my Junior Library Guild monthly subscription books and a rather large order of Spanish/bilingual books. Unfortunately it didn't affect the age of the collection but I'm sure it put me one step closer to my goal.