Wednesday, June 28, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For Pleasure:

I listened to The Red Umbrella by Christina Diaz Gonzalez.  This audiobook was a part of the 16 week free audiobooks by Audiosync.  It took me a couple of chapters to get into this book but once I did it was great!  Some parents in Cuba had to make the hard decision to send their two children to America in the 1960s to escape Castro's control.  The story takes us through the heart breaking decision to the children's new life in American and everything in between.

I also listened to The Souls of Black Folks by W. E. B. Du Bois.  It's a non-fiction, historical book that studies the lives of black people at the turn of the 20th century.

This week I'm listening to The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff.

I just finished The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Help Children Learn by Paula Denton.  I had NO IDEA how many things I said wrong to my students!  This book has REALLY helped me rephrase my directions, redirections, praise and consequences.  I find myself thinking "how can I phrase this?"  Or rephrasing sentences I've said.  THIS BOOK WORKS!

I'm also reading Towers Falling by Jewell Parker Rhodes.  It's on the Texas Bluebonnet list.  I wanted to read this book because it's about September 11th.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like some great reading---and I'm glad you are back at blogging after your busy June!

    ReplyDelete