Monday, June 12, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For Pleasure:

I Could Pee on This Too: And More Poems by More Cats by Francesco Marciuliano is a hilarious book of poems from different cats perspective.  I'm not a cat person (I prefer dogs) but I loved this book of poems!  The poems were just so... cat. Ha! Does that sentence sense? Cats are so aloof and each poem depicted that so well.  I laughed out loud many times and made my family stop and listen to ones that really tickled me.  I don't normally read poems but since it was on my reading challenge I thought I'd get that box checked off.  I'm glad I did.  I think I'm going to start reading more poetry.

Freakling by Lana Krumwiede is a free audiobook from the Audiofile Sync summer program.  I finished listening to it last week.  It's about a world where some of the people have a power called Psi.  They can move and manipulate objects with their mind.  An incident happens that causes Taemon to loose his Psi and has to be sent away to the "Dud" farm.  Taemon accidentally leaks some of their secrets that causes some... problems.

Boys by Anna Ziegler is also a free audiobook from the Audiofile Sync summer program.  This book is based on a true story that took place in the 1960s.  An infant boy was in an accident that cause a doctor to encourage his parents to raise him as a girl.  The book explores the complexities of sexual identity, love, and family.  It's a very moving story. I can't image what the people in this story went threw.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas was a POWERFUL book.  I know it's a fiction book but it really helped me understand the Black Lives Matter movement and helped me understand poverty in ways I hadn't understood before.  I highly recommend this book!

I listened Of Beast and Beauty and Beast, both fractured fairy tales.  I'm not a fan of fairy tales or fractured fairy tales so I hate to really say anything about these novels.  I will say my dad loved them so I'm sure they are a perfect fit for fairy tale lovers out there but just aren't my cup of tea.

For school:

I was assigned to read two novels on the Bluebonnet List and write 20-25 questions.

Best Man by Richard Peck is the journey of a boy from 1st grade through 6th grade.  We begin and end with a wedding.  Archer is a kid who doesn't pick up on life around him.  He needs things spelled out for him to "get" things.  His best friend and uncle are always there too help.

No comments:

Post a Comment