Monday, February 6, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For Pleasure

I finished I Almost Forgot About You by Terry McMillian.  I've read 2 other books by McMillian, How Stella Got Her Groove Back and Waiting to Exhale and loved them both.  I did not love I Almost Forgot About You.  The dialog didn't flow.  It felt forced.  In beginning of the book Georgia is seeking out past loves to tell them what they meant to her.  In the end she only meets with 4 of the men.  I was a bit disappointed to not meet more of them.  She also makes big plans to go on a train trip.  She only makes it 2ish days on the train before she decides she doesn't want to do the train ride anymore.  She ends up falling in love with one of the men from the past.  I don't know.  It was all kind of built up, meeting her past loves, going on this train ride to then just, kind of nothing.

I started The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker and Holmes #1) by Colleen Gleason.  I'm not far enough into the book to say if I like it or not.  I'm doing a Reading Challenge this year and this fits the steampunk requirement.  I had to look up the meaning of steampunk.  In case you need the definition too it's "a genre of science fiction that has a historical setting and typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology"  The sentence to help you understand is "If you like steampunk, this is a great book for you."  I'm not sure that sentence is really helpful in understanding the definition.  Ha!

For School:

I was still getting the students ready last week for author visit with Michael Anthony Steele (this week).  So we did not read a book.  I showed them the trailer for "Night at the Museum" then read them the preface of Night at the Museum: Nick's Tale.  The trailer gave them a visual and a kick to their background knowledge (if they'd seen the movie before).  So when I read the preface, which is pretty attention getting, they were very excited!  So far I've sold more of his books than any other author we've had visit.  I think part of that is the price of the book and part is the excitement of the movie-book connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment