Monday, August 15, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I've been back at school for a week now. We've got one more week of professional development before the students come back. 

Last week I was back to my mix of adult, young adult, and children's book. 

I read Night Noises at a training last Friday. We did a plot mountain with this story. A grandma is sleeping in her rocking chair with her dog on guard. Her dog hears all kind of noises outside. Each time the noises get louder the dog gets louder until there's a big knock on the front door that finally wakes up Grandma. She's in for a big surprise when she opens the door!

I listened to Juba! Juba is a dancer. He gets found by Charles Dickens and gets an opportunity to go to London. Juba has to deal with racism, the entertainment business and a biracial marriage. I really enjoyed this book but man, was the ending sad. 

Poems In The Attic is on our Texas Bluebonnet list. The poems tell the story of a military family. Every other poems are told through the point of view of the daughter or her mom. The daughter finds a box in the attic of her moms memories. 

Most Dangerous was such an eye opening book! I "know" about the Vietnam War but boy, I didn't realize how much I didn't "know" about this war. The deception, the lies, the arrests, the prisoners of war. Wow. Just wow. 

I'm reading Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Morairty and The Fall of Five by Pitticus Lore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment