Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Author Visit with PJ Hoover

Award winning author, PJ Hoover visited my district this week.  She came to my school today and presented to 5th grade. 

The 5th graders LOVED her!  She held their attention during her 45 minute presentation.  She talked about her childhood, her family, her 1st career as an engineer making computer chips for phones and such, and her love for science fiction and fantasy.

She talked about how her books have been rejected 300 times!  But she never gave up.  My favorite quote from her presentation was "Feel the fear and do it anyway."  I. LOVE. THAT. QUOTE!  It's going in my bullet journal!

At lunch time she ate with my book club members in 2nd-5th grade.  She gave them each an autographed copy of two of her books.  On a side note, she asked them if they loved to read.  A couple of them said no.  I'm over here like "um... why are you in book club then?" Then when she tells them she's giving them free books one of the students who proclaimed to not like reading  pumped his fist in the air and said "Yes!" and smiled real big at his buddy.  Crazy kids!  lol

After lunch was over two of my students stuck around.  She showed them how to get on her website and print an alphabet activity.  Both are students who need a little extra attention and she gave it to them willingly.

PJ was friendly, down to earth and a joy to be around.  She was easy to work with and easy to talk to.  I highly recommend her for an author visit!


1 comment:

  1. Aren't author visits the best? And it sounds like she was very generous with her time, which they often aren't able to be due to time constraints. I particularly love her TLC with the book club members. -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete