Friday, August 7, 2015

Binging on Netflix

I did not grow up with cable (side note, my parents now have cable...). We lived in Houston and had access to 10ish TV channels. 

My husband grew up in Tyler. They only had 3 or 4 channels. He had cable. 

The first year of our marriage we lived in Nacogdoches while I finished my last year of college. We had one TV channel that came in good and one channel that would come in if you angled the antenna just right, lifted your left leg, crossed your two right middle fingers, and twisted your tongue. Just. Right. Bam! Second TV channel!

When we moved to Houston I assumed we'd get rid of cable. 10 channels are enough, right? Apparently I was wrong. We kept cable. 

16 years later we are back in Nacogdoches, we decided to take the plunge and get rid of cable. The idea was we didn't watch all the channels that we had. We did waste time watching shows that really weren't worth watching. And it would save us money every month (this is favorite part!). 

We did get Netflix and Hulu. Because sometime you do just need to veg on some TV. 

This seemed like a good choice. 

Except I HAVE WASTED SO MUCH TIME BINGING ON TV SERIES. I mean, for real! So much time down the drain binging on nothing of substance. I have NEVER read so little in one summer. 

It's embarrassing. 

I cannot make myself stop watching after one episode. So I have refused to start a new series. When I feel myself inching toward the remote I mentally slap myself and think of the hours wasted. And. I. Pick. Up. A. Book. 

The crazy thing is I didn't really watch that much TV before. Sure I had a couple of favorite shows I liked to watch but I always preferred reading. So to say I was shocked that I binged watched series is to put it mildly. 

I have learned my lesson! 

No comments:

Post a Comment