Monday, April 10, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

For Pleasure:

I finished Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly.  I mentioned last week that I was having a hard time reading this book because it was so factual.  I was determined to finish this book so I decided to switch to the audiobook.  I am sooooo glad I did!  I ended up really enjoying the book.  There was so much history and interesting facts.  I don't know what it is about reading facts that makes me want to fall asleep but listening to them peeks my interest.

I don't normally say this but... if I'm honest... I really did like the movie better.  The characters were more developed and we really got a peek into their lives.  There was a story in the movie.  The book wasn't a story and the characters weren't the center of the book the way they were in the movie.

If you are a factual kind of person you'll love this book.  If you're not then you'll just like it.

I'm almost done with the 3rd book in the Lux series, Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  I have truly enjoyed this young adult paranormal fantasy series.  In this book Daeman and Katy are working with the rest of the family and an enemy they don't really trust, but have no choice but to work with him, on saving Dawson's girlfriend.  People die, friendships are renewed, failures happen... and now I'm waiting to see how it ends.

For School:

April is poetry month so I've been reading poetry to my students.

For Pk-2nd I read about 5 poems from Come Play With Me by Margaret Hillert.  My favorite poem is "The Book".  I told students to listen to the poem then at the end raise their hand if they could tell me why it was my favorite.  Most students said because I love books but with the PK students would name things they saw in the illustrations.  So that question might not of been appropriate for them.

With 3rd-5th I read Hypnotize A Tiger by Calef Brown.  Again I only read a handful of poems.  We discussed rhyming words.


No comments:

Post a Comment