Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Beach vs Mountains

It's hard to tell but that little dot is Jay.
One of the things I found interesting while we were in Ireland for my conference is my preference for the beach verses my husband's preference for the mountains.

Every time we pulled over on the side of the road to enjoy the scenery Jay always tried to climb the mountain and I always tried to figure out how to get down to the beach.

I know I love the water and Jay does not.  I know I'm the first one to jump in the pool at a hotel.  And I'm the first one to plan a trip to the beach.  I know I'm the one who talks about tubing down the river or heading to lake.

For some reason seeing our choices in action on our trip really made me notice it.

I love water.  I was a water baby.  My parents put me in swim classes at 6 months old and I've loved it ever since. We had a pool when I was kid that I spend all summer in. Except for the days I got swimmers ears.  I can remember bugging my mom everyday till I was able to get back in the pool.

I remember my mom and aunt taking my little cousin and I to the beach a few times each summer. We use to go camping on the river and tube all day.  We'd also camp by the lake and swim all day.

I love the water.

Jay nearly drowned in high school on the lake.  One of his buddies noticed him going under and was able to grab him and get him to shore.  Needless to say he does not have the love of water that I do.

Back to Ireland.  That's one of the awesome things about Ireland.  The beach and mountains are all
The beach at Ventry-Coumeenoole.
right there together.  Some of the houses have front porches that faced the beach and back porches that face the mountain. That would be the perfect house for us except we might never see each other. Ha!

Don't get me wrong.  I do love the mountains but I'd pick the beach over the mountains any day!

What do you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so tough! I long to visit Ireland some day and your post increased that desire. I grew up in the mountains and love them. I love looking at the beach and laying on the beach but that water with all of it's life is scary to me. The mere chance of getting stung by jellyfish, not to mention sharks, keeps me out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mountains! So beautiful and peaceful. My favorite "mountain memories" are from Colorado...what a lovely reminder today! Thank you

    ReplyDelete